Sudan: Warring Factions Begin Peace Talks

After three weeks of fighting, envoys of Sudan’s rival generals began “pre-negotiation talks” on Saturday. Meanwhile, aid shipments have started arriving. DW has the latest.

The US and Saudi Arabian governments have confirmed that direct talks between the warring Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) were beginning in the Saudi port city of Jeddah on Saturday.

The statement comes as violence continued in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum and other parts of the country.

A joint statement by Washington and Riyadh on Friday welcomed the “start of pre-negotiation talks” and asked for continued global support to quell the clashes.

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United States urge both parties to take in consideration the interests of the Sudanese nation and its people and actively engage in the talks toward a cease-fire and end to the conflict,” the statement said.

Sudan’s two warring generals sent their envoys to Saudi Arabia on Friday for talks, in light of several failed attempts at a temporary cease-fire.

The internal power struggle between Sudan’s de facto leader Abdel-Fattah Burhan, who leads the regular army, and his deputy-turned-rival Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, who commands the paramilitary RSF, has left hundreds dead in three weeks.

RSF leader Dagalo, also known as Hemeti, said he welcomed the Jeddah talks, hoping they would “achieve their intended goals.”

“We are committed to democracy and the transition to a civilian-led government,” Hemeti said on Twitter.

He added that his paramilitary force believes in the “the need for a transitional civilian government that fosters a sustainable democratic transition and fulfills the aspirations of our people for security, stability, and development.”

Meanwhile, explosions were reportedly heard from Khartoum’s city center. Some local media also said shots were fired in the neighboring city Omdurman.

Here are other key headlines about the crisis in Sudan for Saturday, May 6:

Turkey to move embassy after reported gunfire

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Turkey’s embassy will be moved from Khartoum to Port Sudan.

Earlier on Saturday, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency reported, citing diplomatic sources, that a convoy that included Turkish Ambassador Ismail Cobanoglu came under fire by unknown assailants in the Sudanese capital.

No casualties were reported after the incident.

“With recommendation from the transitional government and Sudan army, we decided to move our embassy temporarily to Port Sudan for security reasons,” Cavusoglu told reporters.

East African leaders concerned about cease-fire violations

The leaders of East African nations have voiced their concern over the violations to a cease-fire in Sudan, urging the warring generals to talk.

South Sudanese President Salva Kiir, the region’s lead mediator, spoke with Burhan and Dagalo on Friday regarding his and the other leaders’ concerns.

“President Salva stressed the need for the parties to observe the ceasefire and send their representatives to an agreed venue to commence talks,” the South Sudanese Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

A 7-day cease-fire was announced by South Sudan earlier this week. Yet, violations have continued, as was the case with all previous cease-fires.

Aid supplies arrive in Sudan

A shipment of emergency medical supplies for some 165,000 arrived in Port Sudan from Dubai, the World Health Organization said on Saturday, being among the first to arrive in the country that has been torn by fighting for over three weeks.

The shipment is some 30 tons and includes trauma and emergency surgical equipment. It’s due to be distributed on 13 health facilities, the WHO said, though distribution will depend on “security and access clearances.”